Prague Ruzyne International Airport (PRG)
History, Facts and Overview
(Prague, Czech Republic)
The city of Prague featured a military airport as early as 1919 Kbely Airport, which is still actually in operation today. However, it was not until 1937 that the Prague Ruzyne Airport of today was born, when it was built in the Ruzyne area, alongside the suburbs of Hostivice and Jenecek. By the 1960s, Ruzyne Airport had won many awards over the years for excellence and architecture and was now serving large passenger aircraft, providing flights to locations such as Havana.
Czech Airlines has always been one of Prague's main airlines and the arrival of jet planes in the late 1960s meant drastic redevelopment and runway extensions, and by 1990, Ruzyne Airport had around two million passengers every year. Further improvements have included reconstruction of the airport control tower in the mid-1990s, and more recently in 2006, Terminal North 2 was opened.
Facilities at Prague Ruzyne Airport are modern and well maintained, including a total of over 70 different shops and duty-free outlets. These are based mainly in the departures halls of both Terminal North 1 and Terminal North 2.
Many cafes and other eateries are available onsite, with the Praha Restaurant (Restaurace Praha) being especially popular with passengers and located in the transit area of Terminal North 1. The Ramada Airport Hotel Prague is situated on the airport grounds and provides excellent facilities for business travellers and companies in need of conference space.